- slekten

Startside  |  Hva er nytt?  |  Bilder  |  Historier  |  Gravsteiner  |  Rapporter  |  Etternavn




Personlig informasjon    |    Notater    |    Alle    |    PDF

  • Navn FRANKLAND, Richard 
    Kjønn Mann 
    Person ID I17869  Geelmuyden_etc
    Sist endret 27 Feb 2006 

    Familie 1 SOMERSCALES, Bridget,   f. ansl 1582,   d. Ja, ukjent dato 
    Gift 17 Apr 1611 
     1. FRANKLAND, Margaret
     2. FRANKLAND, Joan
    Sist endret 21 Feb 2006 
    Famile ID F15705  Gruppeskjema  |  Familiediagram

    Familie 2 FERRAND, William,   f. Ilkley Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gift 1623 
    Sist endret 27 Feb 2006 
    Famile ID F15702  Gruppeskjema  |  Familiediagram

  • Notater 

    • During May 1623 Thomas's brother-in-law Richard Frankland d
      ied leaving Thomas as the guardian of his daughter Margaret. Richard Frankland had married Bridget Somerscales (Thomas's elder sister) who had inherited property at Gargrave including the advowson of Gargrave Church. Their uncle Arthur was the vicar there.

      Richard Frankland was the son of Ralph Frankland and brother of William. Richard's grandfather (another William) who died around 1574 was a citizen and cloth worker of London. In 1562 or 1563 Walter Pulleyn assigned the manor of Blubberhouses to William. Walter Pulleyn had received it from his father Ralph who had received it from the Prior of Bridlington in 1535 (one of those grants designed to confuse the dissolution). On the death of William Frankland it passed to Hugh who died in 1606 when it went to William, Richard's brother. The family were intent on building an estate in the area, in 1576 William and Hugh (brothers) bought Ickhorngill, Paceyate and Evening Croft (Maiden Kirk)in Beamsley (between Somerscales and Bolton Bridge) from the Nesfield family and it was quitclaimed by Edward Nesield gent in 1605.

      William Frankland bought the manor of Fewston in 1617 from Thomas Pickering and Thomas Coghill (perhaps on behalf of his father because it passed to Richard). They thus owned land from close to the Wharfe, over the Washburn to the eastern boundaries of Fewston which adjoin Harrogate. The Fewston purchase included property called Cragge House, which Richard promised he would sell to William. Richard also received Ickhorngill, Paceyate and Evening Croft (Maiden Kirk)from his father Ralph. He was thus possessed, at least potentially, of a considerable estate.

      However, Richard appears to have been physically unwell and was certainly unable to balance his books. William on the other hand was dynamic and vibrant, building-up the family fortunes at Thirkleby Hall and elsewhere. Richard appears to have sold Fewston to his brother. William had paid but had not received the deeds. His patience running short William looked as though he would take possession. In 1622 Richard realised he was very ill and begged his brother not to take The Cragge:

      "Most loving brother" he wrote, "both my wife and myself were present at my fathers' when my mother did deliver the surrenders to Mr Pickering for our uses according to our agreement and we all desire that my wife may have her widdowhood at the Cragge" there follows some legal wording the essence of which is that his mother felt she could not sign the surrender while William was absent. Richard continues "can you help me with the £60 that is our bargain, I pray you do it, for that debt which I owe I owe it to many, and my debtors come earnestly upon me because money is so scant in our country and for that £10 which my wife is to have out of it, if you think I will not give it her, I am sure you need not fear it" Richard signs off the letter and then adds a post script "brother I pray you pay £5 to Mr Monks' attorney which I will allow of the £60 which I do owe to one Steve Snell".

      Richard's father Ralph also wrote to "his very loving son Mr William Frankland" on the 24th September "this is to let you know that your brother Richard is very sorrowful about the bargain that should be between you and him considering that the lands go [after his death] without any condition at all". Not giving anything after his death for Bridget's widdowhood. He thinks "the strict covenants you have tied him to make him very heavy". He asked him "not to be miscontent" that the bargain did not proceed and for the lapse of time "as for your money, you shall have it honestly paid back".

      The family's lawyer Francis Day also wrote "your father, mother, brother and sister are all unwilling that your surrender should proceed because you have not estated your sister in the Cragge for her widdowhood ... they have persuaded your father to pay you your money back.. if you estate the land to their daughter".

      Their daughter Margaret had been baptised at Fewston on the 15th April 1613 and William seems to have relented because she was possessed of The Cragge. However, at Richard's death the family did not live there as they were dwelling at Hoyle House in Beamsley, the property of the Clapham family. So William had lost patience with the endebted and indecisive Richard.

      On the 1st October 1625 Margaret was aged just twelve (she had been baptised at Fewston on the 15th April 1613)and was with her guardian, her uncle Thomas Somerscales at Gisburn. Her mother Bridget who had returned to her estate in Gargrave had married William Ferrand of Ilkley by licence of 1623.

      Despite Margaret's tender years it was agreed in 1625 that she would marry John the son of Richard Banister of Barnoldswick. The following trustees were appointed, Sir William Lister of Thornton knight; Thomas Lacy of Thornton (Thomas Somerscales brother-in-law) and Thomas Heber the younger. Richard Banister's capital messuage in Barnoldswick or Barnoldswick Cotes and the water corn mill with its soke and suit were held for John and Margaret. Clauses assured John and Margaret and their heirs were well provided for with guarantees made for Margaret. However, the trustees were empowered to sell The Cragge before Margaret reached twenty-one if they deemed fit. The couple married at St Mary's Barnoldswick on the 3rd October 1625.